You've paid your debt to Uncle Sam all year, so if you get a little cash back as a tax refund, be sure to make the most of it. The average tax refund is expected to top $2800 in 2015. That’s real money that can help give you a serious jump-start on securing your financial future.
Before you book that trip to Disneyworld, consider spending your tax refund on things that will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Don’t worry though, we’ve provided options that are both fun and responsible.
Here are 9 smart (and fun) ways to spend your tax refund.
- Bulk up your emergency fund: this large lump sum of money only comes once in the year. Saving a part of it to add that extra cushion to your emergency fund is one of the smartest things you can do.
- Decrease high interest debt: whether it is your credit card, car loan, or other lines of credits, evaluate all your debt and take part of your refund to decrease the balance on the one with the highest interest. This will save you money in the long run.
- Update your home: it may be a great time to update your kitchen cabinets, counters and appliances, or even renovate your bathrooms or floors. Not only will you be increasing your home’s value, it will also make your house more enjoyable.
- Invest in your health: if you don’t have your health, you have nothing. Whether it is your physical or mental health, your refund can be the payment for an annual membership with a trainer or to join a gym. If you prefer to workout outside, you may be interested in joining Yoga classes by the beach or paddle boarding.
- Quality Family time: in today’s fast paced world, it can be easy to take your immediate or extended family for granted and assume they will always be there. Plan a quality vacation or visit where you can slow down, catchup and connect with those people who really matter in your life.
- Upgrade your Gadgets: technology is always changing and can make our lives easier as well as make us more efficient. It could be a new computer, smartphone, tablet or video monitoring system. It could also be a more efficient air conditioning system or water heater which save you money each month.
- Invest in education: been wanting to take a class or special training seminar? Here’s an opportunity to invest in education that could help you get a promotion, start a new business with your new found skills or just improve your well-being.
- Pay it forward: you can be completely unselfish and donate all of your refund to a cause you are passionate about. If you view your tax refund as an unexpected windfall, well you won’t miss it and you’ve helped a worthy cause.
9. Throw a Party: speaking of worthy causes, gather your friends and family and celebrate. Life’s too short not to have fun with friends and family, so we are giving you permission to use your refund to throw an awesome party. And we can help make it super easy by bringing our stone to you with Cold Stone Catering.
You’ve worked hard and getting a refund will feel great but it will feel even better if you spend it on something you value and appreciate. Whether you pay down debt and are super responsible or throw a party that leaves you with lasting memories, choose an option that works for you. Happy tax season!